Sunday, September 6, 2020

What about hydroxychloroquine?

(Catching up on posts started a while ago. This one originally written around 6/4/20.)

I've been following this on another forum that is strictly private and invite only. But I've been alerted to some information that made me think this was worth following.

I call this drug chloroquine for short. Who wants to type more than that? Not me. (Also called HCQ, which is short enough.)

So Trump impetuously announced that this was a very promising drug. It had been tried on SARS patients with maybe some success, and then SARS disappeared. So it was looked at for covid almost immediately. Early results were very mixed. Then Trump put his foot in it, and people started snatching it up, causing shortages for the people who needed for lupus treatment. That showed how idiotic is was of Trump to mention it.

It also caused a lot of politicization of the drug. Pro-Trump people touted it. Anti-Trump people panned it. This is ridiculous because politics is totally extraneous to whether a drug works or not. Luckily I wasn't sucked into the pro- and anti-camps, and look at it just as a scientific and medical question. Does it work?

I followed leads that sounded promising. ...Maybe it had to be taken with zithromax.  ...Maybe it had to be taken with zinc. ...Maybe it was effective if taken early in the course of the disease along with zinc.

I read about a medical director at a nursing home in Texas that gave it to a bunch of patients, without getting informed consent, but good results. I read that a doctors' group (AAPS) petitioned the governor of Arizona to allow its use and submitted a group of studies. Then I read that the doctors' group is a group of conservative quacks that also contains weird anti-vaxxers. And their evidence isn't well explained so I couldn't verify that they were accurate in what they claimed. One claim I could verify: India is giving healthcare workers chloroquice as a preventative measure, and has increased the numbers receiving it. However there aren't hard numbers reported. A critique of India's decision.

Image: grainmart.in


Extras. Article with a very long thread of professionals discussing it. A report from Michigan on its trials.


No comments: