Saturday, September 24, 2011

My new hero


“Citizens will either have to pay more for their government, accept less in government services and benefits, or both.” 

--Douglas Elmendorf, Director of the Congressional Budget Office and first guest of the Congressional super committee working on deficit reduction.

Sorry I didn't post on this right away, but it was my favorite moment last week. Elmendorf told the super committee the plain truth. No finger-pointing, no political games, just the stark truth. No one on the committee argued with him or tried to score points. They just listened, or so it seemed.

We are two months away from getting their recommendations, and I'm waiting with both hope and trepidation. They seem the best hope for a reasonable way forward, and I'm not seeing any other savior on the horizon.

To the committee members, work hard and get it done. A lot of us will be grateful, either immediately or eventually. God speed.

No comments: